"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Thursday, June 18, 2015

New Blocks

I've been busy sewing today!  When I was taking a break, Pippi and Cupcake declared a truce long enough to sit next to each other.

I have been making four patch blocks all day.  Most of the blocks I am using were left over from my uncle's prayer quilt.  I am making a Route 66 quilt for my husband for our twentieth anniversary.  I added several blocks with the Rte 66 theme, however a lot of my fabric needed bigger blocks to showcase the design.


I fussy cut 8 1/2 inch blocks to spread randomly through the quilt.  So far I have 14 of them cut and 16 - 4 patch blocks sewn.  I have several ready to be sewn together.


I am still loopy from my pain meds and need some help to figure out how many blocks to make.  My blocks are 8 1/2 inches.  To make a throw for a man, I was thinking 40 by 60?  Is that right?  What size would you recommend and how many blocks do I need?  I do have a fabric to use for the border.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Missy

8 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

60" long is only 5 feet long. Do you want it longer than that? 6 blocks wide by 8 blocks long would be 48" x 64". You could also add a border all the way around, and make it a bit bigger.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I am bad at math, so I use graph paper to draw it out all the time. I am thrilled you are sewing and the machine is right side up!

Kim said...

I usually make a large twin size quilt or full size quilt for a man. My husband is 6' and son is a teenager and is 5'7. A lap size wasn't big enough for them to snuggle under on the couch.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

No help from me with the Maths, sorry. I love the colours in this quilt and the way you have placed the blocks is really showing off the fabrics. Glad you're getting back to sewing!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I think Cheryl's numbers are the best. But who am I to talk I have a baby blanket that ended up being 52 X 52.

Cindy A. said...

If you base your finished quilt size on the size of pre-packaged batting, a throw would measure 60"x60" using Quilter's Dream for example. The size you mentioned would be a crib size batting, 46"x60". Staying within the confines of the batting size will keep you from having to buy more batting than you need in order to cover the longest side. If your husband is tall and you really want him to be able to wrap up in the quilt while watching TV, you might want to go for a twin size which would mean your batting would be 72"x93", again using Quilter's Dream. Will you be putting borders on the quilt? I don't think you mentioned that, but I could have missed it. I tend to be a skimmer:-)...

Shauna said...

I tend to make larger quilts because I like them to be long enough to tuck under my feet. So I normally do at least 60 x 72, unless it is for someone really tall like my nephew, who is 6'6" then I make it about 90" long.

Sarah said...

While I'm not good at figuring out a "man size" on the fly, I'm happy to hear that you have been sewing so much as it tells me you are feeling better. Sew glad the furkids could play nice long enough for a cute photo!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8