"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

When is a cake not cake?

Or when is dirt not dirt?  When it is dirt cake!  This is one of my most favorite recipes, good old fashioned Southern dirt cake!  This is the first recipe I put in my cookbook when I was 16!  I got the recipe from Mrs. Virginia Cook, a dear sweet lady from my church.

Dirt Cake
1.  Mix together:
     1 8oz package cream cheese
     1 stick of butter
     1 cup of powdered sugar
     1 small container of Cool Whip

2.  Mix together in a separate bowl:
     1 small package instant vanilla pudding (last time I used white chocolate, or plain chocolate is also         good.)
     1 1/2 cups cold milk

3.  1 package Oreo cookies
      - crush in food processor (or ziplock baggie using a rolling pin)

*  Mix 1 & 2 together.  Keep Oreos separate.  Layer the filling on the bottom and Oreos on top, one after the other.  I made a total of four layers, make sure you end up with cookies on top.

*  This looks really good either topped with gummy worms or in a flower pot with a fake flower stuck in it.



I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

Missy

6 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Looks yummy and would be fun with gummy worms!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've not made dirt cake, but, I love dirt pudding.

Kathleen said...

Love the dish you used! I made something like this years ago. Not sure if it was this exact recipe, but same idea. I think I put it in a regular cake pan and then bought a bunch of fake flowers and grassy looking sprigs and stuck them in the cake so it looked like a garden. Then I bought a small kid's plastic toy shovel to serve it with. Brought it to a family picnic. It was a hit!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

That is a totally new to me recipe. I have never heard of dirt cake. Bet it tastes yummy.

Pam @Threading My Way said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam @Threading My Way said...

I've featured your Dirt Cake recipe today, Missy.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8