"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Easy Strawberry Shortcake

I wanted to share a recipe my mom taught me as I was growing up. 
 It is super easy and my favorite dessert!  
Strawberry Shortcake!
Well, maybe not that Strawberry Shortcake, even though she was my favorite character and I had everything Strawberry Shortcake!  Maybe it was the red hair since I'm also a redhead?  Or maybe the strawberries, after all when I got married my kitchen theme was strawberries.

But I digress, making strawberry shortcake is actually super simple!
First, slice your strawberries, it does not have to be perfect just in sizes easy to eat.  
I used about a pint.

Second, sprinkle your sugar over half the strawberries, put the other half on top and sprinkle those.  How much sugar you ask?  That's a good question!  I use about half a cup, more if your strawberries are not sweet. Just be sure there is enough to cover the strawberries. Cover and put in the fridge.  Stir, in about 30 minutes.  You want it to sit for about two hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.  The sugar soaks into the strawberries and makes the syrup.

You can either make your own shortcake recipe or use angel food cake.  
I cheat and use the shortcake cups at the grocery store.

Put the strawberries and syrup on your shortcake.

Dollop with whipped cream.  Here is my recipe for whipped cream, althugh I did cheat again and used Cool Whip!  LOL

Enjoy!!!

What is your favorite recipe that your mom taught you?
Missy

4 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love strawberries, but never been much of the cake fan. DH does not like berries though :(

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

My mother hates to cook (or sew). She taught me to open boxes and cans, or to eat out. Thank goodness I've learned how to cook. I used to call my father, when I first moved out, and ask him how to fix something. He is also the one who taught me how to use a sewing machine. We use flattened crescent rolls, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar for our strawberries and whipped cream. I learned that from a neighbor when we first got married.

Cindy A. said...

For every day eating I learned to make macaroni and tomatoes using canned tomatoes. I use tomato juice now and brought my children up on it as well. My youngest daughter loves it and actually craves it at times.

For Christmas, my mom and grandmother made fudge in chocolate and butterscotch. I still use that recipe and have taught my daughter how to make it. Each Christmas she gives it to her school friends and my husband gives it to his employees. Everyone looks forward to fudge time:-)!

Sarah said...

We either use biscuits or the store bought cakes. We slice about half the strawberries and then mash them (with a potato masher or whatever has a flat bottom), then slice the other half of the berries into the same bowl. Sprinkle an unspecified amount of sugar and let them site for an unspecified amount of time. We like ours juicy!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8