"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Question

I have a question for ya'll.  I think I found the house I want to buy in MO, but we are needing to wait until we move there to try to buy the house.  I'm praying it is still available when it is time for us to buy, but if it is not, I know the Lord will have a better one for us!
Okay, here is my question.  I have been looking at some of the pictures I took of the house.  Beside the front porch is a poured, square slab of concrete.
Do you have any idea what this would have been used for?
The only thing I can think of doing with it is making a raised flower bed, using stones around the side to match the rest of the porch. Although, if I plant roses along the front, I might just want to use decorative plants instead to not take away from the roses.   But does anyone know if it has a purpose?
I just love this wide front porch and have a lot of plans on how to spruce it up.  If anyone has a Pinterest board on sprucing up porches, please share so I can follow it!
Here is mine.
Any suggestions on easy, low maintenance perennial (the kind that bloom every year)flowers to plant there?  I have a confession to make, I have a black thumb and kill every thing but my ivies!  I'll be living in MO, so it will have to be something that grows well there.
Here is the rest of the porch.  Eventually I would add gingerbread trim and white pickets railings and stuff to make it look more Victorian?  We'll see how it looks after I add porch furniture and a porch swing.
I've always wanted roses because my grandmother had roses of every color all along the front of her house.  I also want honeysuckle because I love the smell, I will probably plant that in the back by the kitchen windows and on the side by the bedroom windows.  I'll have to find someone who knows flower gardens to help me plants my gardens.
I'll update on my quilting progress in the next couple of days, I've not gotten much done I'm afraid.
I'll try not to bore you with all my house and moving talk!

Have a blessed day!
Missy

4 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I'll have to see if my husband knows why the porch it like that. This looks like a big house! You'll have lots of room to sew. I hope it all works out, but if it doesn't, something else will come up. I'm SO glad we didn't end up with the first two homes we tried to buy. One ended up being right behind a shopping center (where there used to be a cow pasture).

Cindy A. said...

It looks like that odd slab of concrete may have once been a flowerbed that the owners filled in. If you keep the overhang, I think I'd concrete all the way across and have one very long porch area. What a great place that would be for kids to roller skate!

Visit www.keepingitcozy.blogspot.com for some ideas on remodeling a porch. You'll probably have to do a search to find the posts of course, but I think you'll like Andrea's style. She lives here in town and her mom visits the shop from time to time. Enjoy!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Looks like it could be a really lovely place to call home!
Hmmm. I have no idea what that odd little rectangle off the porch is. It doubt it can be used as a raised flower bed, because it looks like there is a grill (ventilation or drainage of some sort?) But you could still put potted plants in there.
What you plant in the garden will depend on how much sun and shade you get. Missouri has thick, heavy, clay soil, so add peat moss or compost to the soil to break it up, before you try to plant anything.
If it's shady, put in Hostas and then add a few annual impatiens for a bit of color. If it's sunny, herbs would be nice. Rosemary, Oregano, thyme, sage, etc... (These are all plants that will grow with almost no effort)

Cheryl said...

Missy, it looks like a really neat house. You have wonderful ideas for the porch. I love Victorian decor. I have a wicker porch swing and 2 rockers on my porch and love sitting there. I think a nice porch really makes a place look and feel like home. I hope things work out for you guys. If you want some Hosta starts I will be happy to mail you some next spring.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8