"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Quick Dinner Ideas

I had mentioned a couple of weeks ago the trouble I had been having with my asthma.  It is allergy and stress induced and every fall and spring, I have a couple of weeks of not getting anything done.  I also have mitral valve prolapse, a very mild heart condition that I don't even notice most of the time.  The two conditions exacerbate each other though, so when one acts up, the other acts up.  I used to take a heart medication, but I stopped, I have very few memories from the years I was on it.  I used to use an inhaler, but I don't use that either.  Steroids are very bad for you.  I know use essential oils and diet to control both.  I am going to be honest and admit I forget to use my oils sometimes, and those are the days I have problems.  I don't have to use the oils every day, just during times that I know are going to be rough.  I use Tranquility and Vitality from Butterfly Express for my heart.  I apply it on the bottom of my feet, the top of my spine, the inside of my ring finger (that vein has a direct link to your heart, symbolic, huh?).  Lavender and sweet orange are also good relaxants to slow down my heart beat.  I have to avoid caffeine also.  For my breathing, I use Aspire and Breezy, more oil blends from Butterfly Express.  I also use peppermint and eucalyptus.  I put these on my sinuses and pulse points and top of my spine.  All of the oils get rubbed over my chest since that is where my lungs and heart are.  And the bottom of the feet.  I also try to keep peppermint diffusing in my home to help keep my air passages opened.   So with that said, this is what I did for supper on days I didn't have the breath to labor over the stove.

When I make my homemade spaghetti sauce, recipe can be found here, I make a big batch and freeze some of it in canning jars.  So the first day I made spaghetti, and since I put meat in my sauce, I didn't have to worry about that.  I made the whole package and put the extra noodles in the fridge.  The next day, I made spaghetti pie.  My husband had shredded mozzarella, Parmesan and Romano cheeses for me and mixed them together the day before, so all I had to do was throw the noodles in a deep dish pie pan (any casserole dish works), pour sauce over it and a couple of tablespoons of water to keep the noodles from drying, then top top with a lot of cheese and bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. You can also use a blend of mozzarella and cheddar if you prefer, I had planned it for the next day also, but my husband (and I) had eaten 3/4 of it, so there was not enough.  I looked in the fridge and grabbed two leftover buffalo burgers and topped them with the spaghetti pie and I loved how the two flavors blended! It was a fake buffalo parmigiana!  So I had three separate meals that was similar but different and took 5 minutes of prep time!  When I made my buffalo burgers the week before, I added some bread crumbs, an egg, a tad bit of milk, cumin, garlic salt and dried onions and fried them.  They were delicious!
I hope this gives you some ideas for supper when you are super busy!
On my sewing list is:  I need to finish cutting the material for the prayer quilt, finish my friend's dress, finish quilting my Dresden plate quilt, and I want to make some mug rugs for Christmas presents!
What are you up to?
Missy

3 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Good planning. We seem to make something and just eat the same thing until it's gone. I have to think this out better because by day 3, I'm pretty tired of it!

Denise :) said...

Smart thinking!! I'm working on some mini-hexie projects, among other things! :)

Cara said...

I'm so happy to hear you are getting such good use out of your essential oils!!! You are right one of the keys with oil success is consistency.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8