"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Friday, June 29, 2012

Heating Pad Tutorial

Do you ever have a project that you want to do, is very easy, but for some reason it takes you a year to make it?  That is what happened with my heating pad!


I have been wanting a heating pad that I could heat in the microwave or oven.  This took me about 30 minutes to make!  I actually bought this material when I was a teenager and made it into culottes.  I found a picture of me wearing them from my honeymoon!
It's not the best picture in the world!  I was 21 and just had a cheap camera.  We'll be married 17 years in August.  I was very surprised when I found the material!  I still have a lot left.  I've collected penguins since I was 16, but I'm a little old for this fabric now, but I though it would be great for a heating pad!
First, you figure out how big you want it.  I measured across my stomach to figure out how big I wanted it.  I'll use it for cramps and backaches.  I doubled the material and then folded it in half.  I sewed up each side and a few inches across the top on both sides.
Be sure to leave an opening big enough to turn your material right side out.  Clip the corners before turning to make it look nicer.
Turn it right side out and iron it, folded the unsewn parts under.  This is for when you sew it after adding your rice.
Next, sew some lines in the middle of the case.  I thought I would make swirlies for fun, next time I will just sew three or four straight lines. Leave some room for the rice to move through the botttom and the top.
Next, add some rice or deer corn.  I also added eucalyptus and lavender to make it an aromatherapy pack too.
Just use cheap rice, you aren't eating it!  Don't fill it over full, you want it flexible.  I poured it in a bowl to mix in my herbs and used a pointy measuring cup to pour it in the case.  I had my husband pour while I held the case.  Pippi wanted to help.
Be careful when sew the opening closed, I poured it all over my floor which the cats thought was fun!
You're done!  You now have an easy to make heating pad!  Just pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes when you are ready to use it!  You can also  heat it slowly in the oven.  Here are directions for that, takes 15 minutes:  http://www.ehow.com/how_7795612_bake-heat-pads.html .
Enjoy!
Missy


1 comment:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That doesn't look too hard. Might be a perfect thing to make as Christmas gifts.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8