"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Glasses Case and a winner


Wow, it is gonna storm here! My Muffin is scared of storms and hides in the bedroom when it thunders.  He's a real big scaredy cat!  I made a glasses case to match my purse, back before I had to go to AR.  I have prescription sun glasses, one of the best investments ever! (I said that with a valley girl ever so be sure to read it that way!)  (I guess you young girls don't know what I'm talking about when I say valley girl though!)  I used a coupon a couple of years ago to buy 2 glasses plus exam for $100 and then paid the extra $20 for tint on one of them.  I've been using the ugly case it came with, don't know why when it took me less than an hour to make the case!
I had some material left over from an apron I had made and it was curved which is why I ended up with a sock looking case.  I used a thick felt for the middle and fleece for the inside.  I wanted as much protection as possible for my glasses and the fleece keeps them clean.  I cut the material 7 inches by 7 1/2 inches, but it is almost too small once I got all the sewing down, but you don't want it too big or glasses might fall out. If your glasses are small like mine, I would go with 7 1/2 by 71/2 to make it a tad wider.   Mine fit perfectly.  I cut all three pieces the exact same size,
  then trimmed the middle down a little to help with bulkiness.  I pinned the middle (pink felt) to the inside (green fleece)
 I sewed an x in the middle to keep the felt from moving around.  By sewing it to the inside fleece, you don't see the x, but make your x bigger, my fleece moves a little when taking the glasses in and out of the case.
 Next, put the two pieces right sides together (the green fleece facing the right side of the outside material, cherries)  Sew the edges leaving a hole at the bottom to be able to flip the material out.  The bottom is the curved edge, but remember mine is only curved because I'm using leftovers.
 If you want trim, like my green ruffle ribbon, sew it on now about 1/2 an inch down.  Be sure to sew the hole closed.
Fold the case in half (cherries facing) and sew the bottom (curve) and side stopping at the top (straight side).  When cutting your material give yourself an extra 1 - 1 1/2 inches to allow for both seam allowances.
Flip it out and your case is done!  I smile every time I look it!  I would have liked a rectangle better than a sock, but hey, I was saving material!

It fits perfect in the other side pocket in my purse too!

And for the winner of the book giveaway the River Rose is Rebecca!



"pianogal said...
I have read several of Gilbert Morris' books. We taught at the same college for a few years. He is a great writer! If I had a steamer, I would name it Johnnie Belle. "
I sent you an email, be sure to email me back!

I hope ya'll like giveaways, I'll be having another in the next month or so for another book.

Missy

3 comments:

Christine said...

SOOO PRETTY!!!!! And very practical!

Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!!

Illinois Lori said...

Hi, I found you thru the friday farmgirl bloghop...

Love love love the eyeglasses case! I know what you mean about prescription sunglasses, I couldn't get by w/o mine! I have plenty of felt, and plenty of leftover fabrics...I'll buy a little fleece remnant and be all set to try this! Thanks for the tutorial!

Blessings,
Lori

retrorevival.biz said...

Hi Missy. How did I miss this post?! Sure hope you'll install a Pinterest button soon so that I can Pin a post like this!

~Cindy

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8