"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Chatelaine

This week I ran across a chatelaine.  I had never heard of one before.
This is the one I saw.  I am putting this under quilt since it is for hand quilters.  It is a chatelaine and if anyone knows where I can find a tute for one, let me know!
From this blog http://shelbystitcher.blogspot.com/2012_02_12_archive.html But I can't find the link. She has little pockets for thimbles, a pin cushion, a place for her thread and ribbon for her scissors.  Good news, someone found the link for us!  http://shelbystitcher.blogspot.com/2007/12/hand-quilting-godsend.html
I didn't have time to make a whole one, but really wanted one for tonight's quilting bee.  Last time we had everything sitting on the quilting loom, pretty disorganized.
I won an abascus necklace from www.leadingladies.etsy.com and when I saw the link knew it was perfect to give me a start on making one.
I knew I wanted to make a place to put my needles and seam ripper.

And a place for my beeswax and thimbles.
I took some cupcake ribbon and tied a piece onto my necklace so that I could tie my spool of thread on there.  I also tied a ribbon on the other side for my scissors.
I ended up not using the smallest strip.  I cut four pieces, two long and two wide for the front and back of the two "pockets".   Make sure they are the same size, then cut feltl for each piece - I used my shears to help prevent fraying.
I then sewed each piece of material, right sides together.  Leave an opening so you can turn it out.
I wanted a nice finish for the top of the pockets, and the felt gives it more stability and a place to put my needles.
Match your two pieces up, wrong sides together.  Leave the top open, and place your ribbon between two pieces of material before sewing to make the loop/strap thingie.  I tied the ribbon onto the necklace first.
Next fill up your pockets and stick your needles on.
This will be great in the car, at quilting bees, doing embroidery or applique or any kind of hand sewing!  I'm sure as I use it I will find ways to tweek it though.  I love the bit of bling I get from the necklace!   I still need to make me a ring cushion, but that will have to wait until I have time.  I have included some links to some tutes and pictures of different ones.  Be sure to read the second link which gives you the history of chatelaines.
Here is a crazy quilt one
http://www.judithbakermontano.com/JBMwebsite/classes_html/classes_cq_f.html
Here is some great information with some pictures of some antique ones - I really want one of these!
http://www.free-quilting.com/content/content.html?content_id=196
Here is a mini tute in the comments
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/chatelaine-t63.html
Here is a pattern you can buy
http://appleblossomquilts.danemcoweb.com/shop/product/appliquer-s-chatelaine/
Here is another version with a small purse on it.  Free tutorial
http://quiltdoodledesigns.blogspot.com/2010/11/quilters-chatelaine-must-have.html
You can also buy ones that look like jewelry.
If I make a better one later, I'll be sure to share it with ya'll.
If you have one or know of any good tutorials for making one, please share!  Tonight we are sewing about 50 buttons on the quilt, and I am still not done with the machine quilting, so I need to get to work!
Have a great weekend ya'll!
Missy
Update:  I made it too long, I almost sewed my scissors to the quilt.The pocket holding the beeswax and thimbles needs to be closed somehow, my beeswax kept falling out.    You want to make it a little shorter, however it was very convenient.

6 comments:

HoneySage said...

Oh, this is fabulous! I am going to have get or make one of these. Thanks for sharing!

Sass - aka - Kathy said...

Missy, this is great - I love the 'in the car' idea! So handy. Thanks for sharing on http://sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/02/sasss-sunday-salvation-show-lucky-13.html

Hugs,
Kathy

Kristin@gratefulbelly.com said...

What a fun blog! I just became a follower and want to invite you to visit my brand new blog and follow me, too! Thanks so much :)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

How neat! I read your update and maybe put some velcro on the pocket? Thanks so much for linking!
Join me at Linky Party Tuesday

Anonymous said...

thanks for showing the chatelaine and the tut and the additional links. I found the link you lost (http://shelbystitcher.blogspot.com/2007/12/hand-quilting-godsend.html)

greetings from germany

Melium

Michelle said...

I would probably stab myself with the scissors. But it does look like a great idea! :-)

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8