"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Birdhouse Quilt Update #4/The back

We are in the final stages of the birdhouse quilt.  My friend Cara embroidered a block for us to put on the quilt.  It says:  Quilted With Love by your Kingdom Sisters, Feb. 2012.  The name of our church is Kingdom Baptist Church.  I had also joined a challenge over at Amy's Creative Side http://amyscreativeside.com/category/challenge-week/ to finish one thing this week, my goal was to finish this back.  I had also said I would get the rust off of my treadle, but that did not happen.
Since Skye took the top home to finish (remember that post?  http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-have-had-terrible-day-want-to-hear.html ) after my car accident, I needed to finish the quilt bottom.  We bought some pretty birdhouse material, but it was expensive and we did not have enough for a king size quilt.  Lauren took the long piece from the back and sewed the two pieces side to side to make it wider.  I took the scraps and cut 18 inch squares.  I cut them again and then sewed the mixed pieces together, sewed them to the top and cut off the excess.

I took the leftover blocks from the front and sewed a strip for the bottom because I needed about another 5 inches.  I used lots of scraps.  Which I sewed on wrong and had to rip the seam out.

I cut a little more than six inches off and then sewed it in between the two pieces.
I wish I had done the same for top of the quilt because we added a part of the middle from the front of the quilt since we will have to cut off a couple of inches from the top.

Here is the other side of the quilt.  I made it too big, I figured out the measurements the day of my car accident when I was really stressed, but I would rather have it too big than too small.
Of course Tiger helped me put the cover on the bed.
Muffin helped me to measure it.
And Pippi helped me with the sewing.
See, I had lots of help with the back!  LOL
Your quilt back should always be bigger than your quilt top by at least 3-4 inches and you then trim it after quilting.
I did all this in less than a week while dealing with insurance coverage, car coverage, car repairs, a whip lashed back and two chiropractor appointments!  LOL
Friday we basted and Saturday we learned how to hand quilt, I blog about that in the next two posts. though!
Skye sent me a picture of the finished quilt top too!

Have a great day ya'll!
Missy
See more posts about this quilt here:
http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2012/01/birdhouse-quilt-progress.html

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow!! Love the quilt.

Heather Rae said...

I love quilts! Thank you for linking up with Make-It-Yourself Monday! Have a fabulous day and a festive Valentine's Day tomorrow!

Brenda said...

The quilt is wonderful. And I love the scrappy back.

Robin said...

Oh my gosh! All that and you managed to manhandle and piece a king-sized back too? Wow!

This is going to be an amazing quilt. :)

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8