"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Cake Decorating Class

We had our third baking class that I taught to the 3 young ladies from my church.  We made carrot cake and regular buttercream using thot not powdered sugar.  Boy was that buttercream sweet but good!  I let the young ladies choose what design they wanted to do on their cakes.  First I taught them how to frost the cake, then do a shell border.
They picked up on the borders very quickly.  (please excuse the picture quality, I forgot my camera and had to use my phone.)
They got to pick their own designs, I gave them some suggestions.  I showed them how to make their designs and they practiced on plates first.  Miracle made a butterfly, Aaliyah learned how to write her name, and Ashleigh made a design from a Wilton instructions book using the shell border.  We didn't feel like messing with color so made the cakes mono-chromatic.  (At least I think that word means one color!  LOL)
I haven't been teaching them in-depth decorating because these were baking classes, but they have been doing a great job!  I explained to them not to worry about it being perfect - just have fun!  That's a lesson I need to learn!
Each class I have printed off the recipes we used in class and some things I wanted them to study.
The first week was sugar cookies and royal icing and they had to learn about eggs and their structure and use in baking.  http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2011/10/sugar-cookies-class.html The second week was Cupcakes and IMBC and they had to learn the differences between carob and chocolate and how to substitute it and about different flours. http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2011/10/carob-cupcakes-recipe-and-class.html  This week they have to study about different kinds of natural sugars and using them in baking.  I'm thinking about doing a blog post about the different kinds of sugar to share with ya'll.
We used the carrot cake recipe from Bob's Red Mill and added a can of pineapple and walnuts.
Next class we will learn how to bake an apple pie and cheesecake - just in time for Thanksgiving!  I must admit this will be my first apple pie too!  LOL  Ahleigh's and Aaliyah's dad has been looking forward to the cheesecake, he loves my cheesecake.  LOL
Thanks for listening!
Missy

No comments:

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8