"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Gluten free cupcakes

I made my first gluten free cupcakes this weekend.  They tasted pretty good, for gluten free!  My husband said they tasted like very good cornbread!  I don't think the texture was that bad though.  My friends wanted me to share the recipe, so here it is!  Enjoy!
Preheat your oven to 350.

Sift into mixing bowl:
3 3/4 cups gluten free flour  (I used Bob's Red Mill All-purpose gluten free flour, next time I will substitute half of that flour for oat flour which is softer, but the all-purpose flour is more binding)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp guar gum (I got this from Whole Foods, it is cheaper then xanthum gum)  (This is what binds the flour together)

Add and mix to combine:
2 cups palm sugar (you can use any kind of sugar)  Yes, I do want you to add your "wet" palm sugar to the dry flour, it makes a crumbly mixture, like when you add butter to flour for a pie crust.

Add:
1 cup + 5 tsp warmed milk (110°F)
4 large eggs
2 sticks very soft unsalted butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract


Beat at low speed with a whisk attachment for 1 minute.  Scrape down the bowl.  Raise the speed to medium-low and beat for 1 1/2 minutes.  Do not overbeat or your dough will be heavy.

Add:
3 TB baking powder

Mix at low speed for 30 seconds.


I use an ice scream scoop for cupcakes, it makes them more uniform and with the thingy that scrapes the dough it makes it easier to scoop.
Scoop the batter into the prepared molds, filling each three-quarters full.  Bake for 18-20 minutes.


(Side note, I don't know how that picture ended up like that!  LOL)

The tops should spring back when lightly pressed.  Cool on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes before removing the  cupcakes from the pan.


This is what the picture is supposed to look like!  LOL

No comments:

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8