"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Rag Quilted Bible Cover

Tiger wanted to help me show off my new bible cover.  Last week I decided I needed a new bible cover.  I bought my old one over ten years ago.  I don't like the new ones in the store, I guess I'm a little old fashioned for them.  I love the rag quilt look, but these directions can be modified to a regular cover also.  Wouldn't it pretty using material that has bible verses all over it or toile?
The first thing to do is measure your bible.  Mine is 9 in. by 6 in. My bible cover is almost too tight, so you might want to try adding an extra 1/2 inch to all your measurements and be sure to add however big a hem you want to the measurements.   If you are doing the rag quilt look, add an extra inch to each piece you cut so that you can have a half inch seam to fray.  I did a 1/4 seam around the sides and like the way it turned out also!

Once I figured out how big I wanted all my pieces I cut myself a pattern out of paper.  This makes it easier to cut then using a ruler, and the measurements are ready for my next bible cover.  Plan out which print you want to go where.  Cut from the cotton and flannel the same cuts.  The flannel is what does the fraying.
This is what I used:
For the main fabric behind the pockets (outside)
Cut 2 - 7in x 9 1/2 in.  (this was tight which will be fine if you had already washed your material, otherwise you might want to go with 10 in. instead.)  I used the daisy material on this.

Inside Flap
Cut 2 - 5 in. x 9 1/2 in.  (width should be same as outside) daisy material

Bottom of Bible (Spine)
Cut 1 - 2 1/2 in x 9 1/2 in (adjust width if necessary) daisy material


I messed up on my pockets and for some reason cut them an inch short on the length.  I wanted this pattern for the front and back pockets:


To sew your pockets like this you need:
cut 8 - 3 1/2 in x 5 in  4 flowers and 4 yellow butterflies

Since I cut my strips 2 1/2 in I sewed six of them them side by side all the way across and got this:

If you want this pocket:
cut 6 - 2 1/2 in x 5 1/2 strips (3 yellow and 3 flowers) 


For this pocket which has two small pockets on the front for pens:
Cut 1 - 6 in x 9 1/2 in (adjust width as necessary) flowers material
Cut 2 - 2 1/2 in x 5 1/2 in. ( I hadn't planned this or I would have cut one of the pen pockets out of the daisy material and the other out of the yellow)


Straps:
Cut 4 cotton and 2 flannel - 12 in x 1 1/2 in.  (The straps in the picture are bigger, but I cut them down) 2 flowers and 2 daisies.  I cut 2 extra cotton pieces for the straps since both sides would be seen.

Closure:
cut 1- 2 in x 5 in yellow fabric (Can be cut down more depending on the look you want)

Notice how I used all three materials to encompass the straps and the closure?



1.  The first step is to lay out all of your pieces before you start to make sure it will work, that's how I realized my pocket pieces were cut wrong and had to rethink it.
(I am going to give you the directions for the pockets I ended up making)
2.  Sew the pocket pieces together first.  (You will be using a 1/2 in. seam in all places unless otherwise noted)
* Pocket A:  Alternating the patterns sew the six pieces together length-wise to make one long strip.  Be sure to sew all pieces flannel to flannel so the seams will be sticking out the front.  Sew a hem stitch across the top.  (This will prevent the top from fraying too much.)  disclaimer - I don't know if hem stitch is the correct term.

3. Lay the pocket front on top of the outside cover.  Pin the sides together with the bottom of the pocket on the bottom of the cover.  Sew the sides only. (I had to use a 1/4 in. seam on the sides since I cut it too small)
4. Pin the bottom (spine) to the cover with the pocket(flannel to flannel) and sew across all three(cover, pocket and spine) pieces at the same time.  Remember to use your 1/2 in seam here.

* Pocket B
5.  Sew the strips for the pen pockets together.  Sew a hem stitch across the top. Just like the previous pocket.

6. Sew the pen pockets onto the main pocket.  Sew down the middle (along one of the seams) to make two small pockets for pens.  Sew a hem stitch across the top of the main pocket, above the pen pockets.
7. Place the large pocket on the front cover with the bottom of the pocket lined up with the bottom of the cover.  Sew the sides only, avoiding the seam from the pen pockets.  (Again I had to use 1/4 seam since I had cut too small.)

8.  Line the bottom of the cover, flannel to flannel, with the other side of the spine part.  Sew along all three pieces (cover, pocket, and spine)remembering to use a 1/2 in. seam.
9.  Sew a 1/4 in. hem stitch around the straps and the closure.
10.  Pin the closure and straps in between the cover and flap.  Make sure the same pattern is facing outward on both sides.  Pin the straps the same distance on both sides.  Put your bible inside to see how far over you want your closure to go.  I have mine closing onto the pocket, beside the pen pockets.  It is almost centered, but I wanted to avoid the pen pockets.  Do both sides for the inside flaps and the straps.  I sewed my closure on the side of Pocket A which is my back side.

11.  Starting on the sides, sewing a 1/4 in seam if your cut is small, 1/2 in seam if your cut is large, (Make sure it is the same as the rest of the side seams) sew up one side of the flap (move the pen pocket material out of the way), pivot your material and sew across the top, re-enforcing the straps and the closure, then pivot and sew down the other side.  Repeat for the other side. 
All sides and pockets should be sewn now.
12.  Of course the closure is optional, but I have a tendency to spill everything out of my bible without one.  Sew velcro to the closure ( I had to switch my thread to yellow for the top of the closure) and to the top of the pocket.  I then sewed a cute flower button on top.
13.  Using sharp, small scissors clip your seams avoiding sewing.  Clip about 1/8 of an inch apart for a more ragged look.
14.  Wash the bible cover and tumble dry to "puff" out the ragged look.

Here is the front of the bible cover.
I wish I had thought of making a monogram "M" for the big pocket, but didn't think of it until later.  I found some rhinestone stickers with my initials.  We'll see how long it stays on.

Here is the back of the cover.  Tiger was helping me model!

Here is the spine of the cover.  This was my firswt tute like this to write, so don't hesitate to ask any questions.  I think it would be pretty easy to adapt to a normal bible cover too. 
Thanks for following!
Missy

5 comments:

avisiontoremember said...

I love it! thanks so much for sharing it with me! Awesome job!

Chris said...

Very pretty! Thanks for sharing at Us and Them! Chris

Shabby Soul said...

Very cute! I love the versatility of rag quilting techniques! Your bible cover is precious!

Unknown said...

Very Cute! Love the fabrics!
www.newlifeovernight.blogspot.com

Bible-Portraits said...

Thanks for the instructions! I have recently started a new website (www.Bible-Portraits.com) and as a sample I included the picture of your Rag Quilted Bible Cover and a link to the instructions. If you prefer not to share your blog in this way, I would be glad to remove it. You can see it at http://www.bible-portraits.com/index.php/bible-portraits/category/1?tab=0

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8