"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sugar

I was thinking about it today and realized that I may have forgotten to point out the use of sugars in my blogs.  Most of my baking is done for my friends who do not like cane sugar therefore I will use palm sugar/thot not sugar in my recipes.  This is not necessary though if you want to use plain cane sugar, raw sugar, organic sugar etc.  Keep the sugars amounts the same in the recipe.  All these sugars can be used interchangeably with the same results.  The only difference is that palm sugar is thick therefore will produce a denser cake, but it still tastes great!  Never cut the palm sugar in the recipe  - desserts are supposed to be sweet!  If you are cooking something savory then go ahead and cut the palm sugar down.
Why do I use palm sugar you ask?  Palm sugar is a healthy alternative for diabetics and other conditions that cannot have cane sugar.  Here are some facts and their links that I have found on the internet:
It has a glycemic index of 35. By comparison, the GI of honey is 55 - 60, and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is 62. Maltodextrin, a common powder often added to many sweeteners, has a GI of 105! (http://www.snac.ucla.edu/pages/Reso...)

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/028996_palm_sugar_natural_sweetener.html#ixzz1HlWNvCIz
http://www.naturalnews.com/028996_palm_sugar_natural_sweetener.html
The most important benefit of palm sugar is that it has low “glycemic index”. What that means is that when you consume palm sugar, you will not experience a spike in your blood sugar levels. There is a gradual releasing of the sugars in the digestive tract due to the low glycemic index of palm sugar. This is one major reason why palm sugar can be a great substitute for real sugar (processed cane sugar).
Another benefit of palm sugar is that it’s a wholesome food, and so has a high nutrition content. A look at the palm sugar nutritional facts/data would show that it contains Vitamin A, B1, B2, B6 and Vitamin C. It’s also abundant in minerals like calcium, iron and phosphorous. The table sugar does not contain any nutrition and causes a spike in blood sugar because of its low glycemic index.
Palm sugar is a great option for diabetics. If you are suffering from diabetes, palm sugar would be healthier than stevia, and it’s low GI index will ensure that your blood sugar levels don’t spike.

http://www.outofstress

The information in blue I have copied directly from other websites and I have included the website I received the information from.
No, I do not eat strictly palm sugar, but I mostly eat palm sugar.  So just remember that my recipes can be interchanged with any kind of sugar, but if you use honey or agave nectar the texture will not be the same and may not hold together.
If you have any questions - just ask!  Just leave me your email add. so that I can reply back to you!
Happy Baking!
Missy

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you get my "sweet" news? I sent you a email telling you that you won my apron book giveaway!! Send me your mailing info so I can get it in the mail! Congrats!!

Cara said...

I can't wait to see palm sugar take off in the health community so we can have even more wonderful recipe's to share.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8